Cranberry-Kissed Chocolate Silk
I combined fresh cranberry salad with the rich custard known as pots de crème, and the result is ever so elegant compared to the usual desserts. —Carmell Childs, Clawson, Utah
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup sweetened whipped cream
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Place cranberry juice and salt in a small heavy saucepan; bring just to a boil. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, slowly whisk hot juice into eggs; return all to pan. Cook over low heat 2-3 minutes or until mixture thickens and a thermometer reads 170°, stirring constantly.
- Place egg mixture, chocolate chips and vanilla in a blender; let stand 2 minutes. Cover and process until smooth. Pour into six dessert dishes. Refrigerate at least 4 hours, covering when completely cooled.
- Place cranberries in a small food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl; toss with sugar. Top each serving with cranberries, whipped cream and almonds.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 473 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 151mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Kissed Pots de Cremes in Taste of Home December 2015