VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 4 whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, onion and water. Cook over medium heat until the berries pop, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, 20 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 2 cups, stirring frequently.
- Stir in sugar, vinegar and salt. Place cinnamon, allspice, mustard seed and peppercorns on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to cranberry mixture. Cook and stir 25-30 minutes or until thickened.
- Discard spice bag. Cool ketchup. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 weeks. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Cranberry Ketchup in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p58