This savory sausage stuffing from Virginia Anthony of Jacksonville, Florida gets a hint of sweetness from chopped apples, dried cranberries and orange juice.
Recommended: 47 Cranberry Desserts Worth Puckering Up For
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1-1/4 cups each chopped celery and onions
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat pork sausage
- 4-1/2 cups seasoned stuffing croutons
- 2 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts or pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring cranberries and juice to a boil. Remove from the heat; cover and set aside. In a large nonstick skillet, saute celery and onions in oil. Stir in poultry seasoning. Place in a large bowl.
- In the same skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and add to bowl. Add next five ingredients and reserved cranberry mixture; toss to combine. Drizzle with broth. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover; bake at 325° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Hazelnut Dressing in Light & Tasty October/November 2003, p6