VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, melted, divided
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1-1/2 cups cranberries
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cold water
- 1 envelope whipped topping mix (Dream Whip)
- In a bowl, combine cracker crumbs, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt and 1/2 cup butter; reserve 1/2 cup. Press the remaining crumbs into an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan. Chill. Meanwhile, cook pudding according to package directions; cool for 5 minutes. Spread over crust. Chill.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook cranberries, raisins and water until berries pop, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in remaining sugar. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; add to the cranberry mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in remaining butter. Cool to room temperature.
- Spread cranberry mixture over pudding layer. Prepare whipped topping according to package directions; spread over cranberry layer. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs. Chill for at least 6 hours. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Graham Squares in Taste of Home December/January 1997, p67