Cranberry studded scones are perfect for a holiday brunch. The baking aroma is so welcoming, I bake these scones as guests arrive. —Lisa Varner, El Paso, Texas
Recommended: 50 Cozy Bakes That Begin With Canned Pumpkin
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk together first seven ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk together cream and molasses; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in cranberries.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently five times. Pat dough into an 8-in. circle; cut into eight wedges. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over scones. Top with pecans. Bake until light brown, 12-14 minutes. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry-Gingerbread Scones in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p71