Cranberry Gingerbread Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the egg, water, yogurt, molasses and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill 3/4 full with batter. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 201 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 252mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Dec 1, 2017
Made as-is, I give this 4 stars. It is tasty as written, but a little bland. The gingerbread flavor needs a little more pizzazz for my taste. I added a 1/4 teaspoon each of cloves, nutmeg and allspice. I also added a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the wet batter and also used milk instead of water. Made with those few adjustments, it was a five star muffin! They sold like hot cakes at the bake sale!
Dec 7, 2013
I'm always on the lookout for muffin recipes that don't include insane amounts of sugar and oil. This one sounded good, but it wasn't gingerbread-y enough. Lacked the *oomph* I think gingerbread should always have. The combination of gingerbread and cranberries, though, is worth working on. I think it could be a killer combo!
Jan 22, 2011
My inlaws liked it. I thought it was a little heavy. And it definitely makes more than a dozen. I usually make my muffins big and I got a dozen and a half.
Dec 12, 2010
I made mini muffins for a church brunch. They taste better the 2nd day as flavors are blended.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.