Cranberry Gelatin Squares
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) crushed pineapple
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 can (14 ounces) jellied cranberry sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup cold whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- Preheat oven to 350° . Drain pineapple, reserving juice in a 1-cup measuring cup. Add enough water to measure 1 cup. Set pineapple aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring pineapple juice mixture to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Stir in cold water; transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until partially set.
- In a small bowl, combine cranberry sauce and reserved pineapple; stir into gelatin mixture. Pour into a 9-in. square dish; cover and refrigerate until firm.
- Place pecans and butter in a shallow baking pan. Bake 8 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally; cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk, cream and pudding mix 2 minutes. In another small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add pudding mixture; beat on low speed just until combined. Spread over gelatin. Sprinkle with toasted pecans. Chill until firm.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 255 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 24, 2013
The topping is too stiff. Need to use more liquid/
Nov 25, 2013
My family loves this recipe.
Dec 12, 2010
Somehow it was both too sweet AND too tart. It actually had an off taste as if an artificial sweetener had been used, but I checked if I had accidentally used a non sugar jello, and that wasn't the case. The Christmas Cranberry Salad (w/ a photo very similar to this photo) is Waaay better.
Dec 12, 2010
Somehow it is too sweet AND too tart. It actually had a weird taste to it, like an artificial sweetener had been used. I checked and that wasn't the case.
Oct 22, 2010
Found this recipe last year & made it for Thanksgiving. Was a huge hit with the entire family. Had immediate requests for it for Christmas too. Now I'm already getting requests for it for this year's Thanksgiving dinner!
Dec 8, 2009
I gave this recipe to my sister to make for Thanksgiving dinner and it turned out great. We toasted the pecans which I think it made it a little better. The family loved it!
Nov 27, 2009
Although I liked the idea, having a light and refreshing holiday dessert after the heaviness of the Thanksgiving feast, I felt that this good but way too sweet. I wanted to reduce the amount of sugar, so I used sugarfree gelatin. I think next time I might make it with a single package of the flavored gelatin and a packet of unflavored. Also, the pudding/cream cheese topping came out very stiff and was hard to spread on top of the firmed up gelatin. In the future, I will just make some sweetened whipped cream to dollop on top of each serving.
Nov 27, 2008
My family really likes this recipe. We tried it last year for Thanksgiving and are making it again this year!