Cranberry Gelatin Salad Mold
"Cranberries add tang to this whipped gelatin salad," comments field editor Bobbie Talbott of Veneta, Oregon.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 package (12 ounces) cranberries
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 3/4 cup pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- In a saucepan, combine the cranberries, 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil; boil for 3-4 minutes or until berries pop. Remove from the heat; stir in pineapple, apple and nuts. Chill until cooled.
- Place gelatin and remaining water in another saucepan; let stand for 1 minute. Add salt and remaining sugar; cook and stir over low heat until dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in the mayonnaise, lemon juice and zest.
- Transfer to a bowl; chill until partially set, about 1 hour. Beat until fluffy. Fold in cranberry mixture. Pour into a 6-cup mold coated with cooking spray. Chill until firm, about 8 hours.
Originally published as Molded Cranberry Salad in Taste of Home December/January 1999