Cranberry Double-Nut Pie
This has to be on our holiday table or there'd be lots of unhappy campers. Tart cranberries provide delicious contrast to the rich, sweet, nutty filling.—Lily Julow, Lawrenceville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, molasses and salt; stir in cranberries, walnuts and pecans. Pour into pastry.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-5 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour. Editor's Note: To toast nuts, spread in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 5-10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Or, spread in a dry nonstick skillet and heat over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.