Cranberry Custard Meringue Pie
I love to serve this pie around the holidays while my family is around. My grandchildren call it the red colored pie with the fluff topping.—Lee Bremson, Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 3 large eggs, separated
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-3/4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1-1/4 cups plus 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup water
- Dash salt
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons plus 1/4 cup cornstarch, divided
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups 2% milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Line pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, orange zest, 1/2 cup sugar, water, salt and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes. Combine 4 teaspoons cornstarch and orange juice until smooth; stir into cranberry mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In another small saucepan, heat 3/4 cup sugar and 1-3/4 cups milk until bubbles form around sides of pan. In a small bowl, combine the remaining cornstarch and milk. Whisk in egg yolks until blended. Add a small amount of hot milk mixture; return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Whisk vigorously over medium heat as mixture begins to thicken (mixture will become very thick). Bring to a boil; whisk 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; whisk in butter and vanilla. Transfer custard to crust; spread evenly with reserved cranberry mixture.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate overnight.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 389 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Custard Pie in Country Woman Christmas 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.