Cranberry Couscous Salad
From Northumberland, New York, Carol Miller sent the recipe for this satisfying salad with its interesting mix of good for you ingredients.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup uncooked couscous
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the couscous, cranberries, carrots, cucumber and green onions. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over couscous mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, stir in almonds.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 199 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 247mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Originally published as Cranberry Couscous Salad in Light & Tasty October/November 2002