Cranberry Christmas Canes
A festive shape, zesty cranberry filling and Christmas colors make these sweet rolls a real holiday hit with my crew. Sometimes I change the glaze, omitting the vanilla and using orange juice instead of milk for a tangier taste. —Rita Fenley, Chesapeake, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest; cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk and eggs. Stir into flour mixture until blended. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a saucepan, combine the filling ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 5 minutes longer; cool.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll one portion into an 18x15-in. rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Fold one short side to center over filling; repeat with other side, making a 15x6-in. rectangle. Pinch seam to seal. Cut into 15 slices. Twist each slice and form a cane shape.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and let rise is a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Meanwhile combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 199 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.