Cranberry Chocolate Cookies with a Kick
This one's a cookie that makes you stop in your tracks to figure out what that delicious flavor is on the back of your palate.—Shalana Patout, Rozet, Wyoming
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup coffee liqueur or strong brewed coffee
- 1-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, combine cranberries and liqueur. Bring just to a simmer; remove from heat. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate and butter on high in 30-second intervals until melted; stir until smooth (mixture will be thick). Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar and vanilla on high until thickened, about 3 minutes; beat in chocolate mixture. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and seasonings; fold into sugar mixture just until combined. Fold in cranberry mixture.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until cookies are shiny and tops are crackly. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Originally published as Cranberry Chili Chocolate Cookies in Ultimate Cookie Swap 2016 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.