Cranberry Cherry Sweetheart Dessert
For dessert, present this sweet-tart combination of cherry pie filling and fresh cranberries. Individual servings of the warm fruit mixture are garnished with pretty pastry crust hearts.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the pie filling and cranberries. Spoon into four ungreased 6-oz. baking dishes. Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Meanwhile, cut eight hearts from pastry with a 2-1/2-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over hearts. Bake for 8-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Place two hearts on each dessert. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 541 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 228mg sodium, 101g carbohydrate (67g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Sweetheart Dessert in Quick Cooking January/February 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.