After serving a heavy holiday meal, I like to offer a light, refreshing dessert, like this gorgeous granita. Because it can be made ahead, there's no last-minute fuss. —Joyce Gemperlein, Rockville, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 3-1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1-3/4 cups unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups champagne
- Place the lime zest in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Drain and discard liquid; set the zest aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring cranberry juice and sugar to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in champagne and lime zest.
- Transfer to a 13x9x2-in. dish; cool to room temperature. Freeze for 1 hour; stir with a fork. Freeze 2-3 hours longer or until completely frozen, stirring every 30 minutes.
- Stir granita with a fork just before serving; spoon into dessert dishes.