Cranberry Chai Bread
This fragrant and full-flavored bread is excellent—it's always moist. You'll love how it captures the tastes of the season. —Jessie Apfel, Berkeley, California
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes1 mini loaf (6 slices)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 1 egg
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup mashed sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons spice chai tea latte mix
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- In a small bowl, combine flours and baking powder. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the egg, sugar substitute, potato, chai mix and milk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- Transfer to a 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda no-calorie sweetener.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 138 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Low-Fat Sweet Potato and Cranberry Chai Bread in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.