- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, brown sugar, oil and orange zest. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and cloves; gradually add to egg mixture and mix well. Stir in carrots and cranberries.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, milk, ginger and orange zest if desired.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews forCranberry-Carrot Layer Cake
"id like to try this-i have 4 bags of dried cranberries i need to use-but i am hypoglycemic-can i substitute maple syrup or agave or honey for those 4 cups of sugar in the frosting???"
"I thought the ginger in the frosting was a poor choice and substituted 1 tsp of cinnamon and used 1 tsp of orange peel to compliment the ingredients in the cake"