- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel, optional
- In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, brown sugar, oil and orange peel; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and cloves; beat into egg mixture. Stir in carrots and cranberries. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, milk, ginger and orange peel if desired. split each cake into two horizontal layers. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews forCranberry-Carrot Layer Cake
"id like to try this-i have 4 bags of dried cranberries i need to use-but i am hypoglycemic-can i substitute maple syrup or agave or honey for those 4 cups of sugar in the frosting???"
"I thought the ginger in the frosting was a poor choice and substituted 1 tsp of cinnamon and used 1 tsp of orange peel to compliment the ingredients in the cake"