Cranberry Cake with Orange Sauce
I love the tart cranberry flavor of this cheery cake. Served with a warm citrus sauce, it makes a wonderful treat to share at get-togethers with family and friends. —Shirley Dehler of Columbus, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- ORANGE SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk. Fold in cranberries.
- Transfer to a 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Gradually add water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the orange juice, butter, orange zest and extract; mix well. Serve warm sauce over cake.