Cranberry Cake Roll Recipe
- 9 egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 2-1/3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1. Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- 2. Add vanilla, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in flour, about 1/4 cup at a time.
- 3. Carefully spread into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4. For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until berries pop. Mash berries; strain, reserving juice and discarding pulp. Return juice to the pan. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; gradually add to cranberry juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Chill.
- 5. Unroll cake and spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 196 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 91mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Cranberry Cake Roll
"The cranberry filling is very good, but the "cake" is tasteless and sticky. Definitely won't make again."