Cranberry Buttermilk Pancake Mix
This fruity mix is handy to have in the pantry for fast yet filling breakfasts. Everyone loves the light and fluffy flapjacks. — Helen M. Schaefer, Appleton, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes16 pancakes (1-1/2 cups syrup)
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup buttermilk blend powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- CINNAMON CRANBERRY SYRUP:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 2 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups water
- For mix, combine the first eight ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 1 batch.
- For syrup, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cranberry juice until smooth; add cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Discard cinnamon stick. Transfer syrup to a storage container; cover and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.
- To prepare pancakes: Pour mix into a large bowl. Whisk eggs and water; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until second side is golden brown. Reheat syrup if desired; serve with pancakes.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 257 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 288mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Buttermilk Pancake Mix in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2009