"When I'm looking for a different way to put cranberries on the menu, this unique side comes immediately to mind," reports Donna Smith of Victor, New York. "Paired with beets, the berries are tasty and tangy...and their ruby-red color really brightens up my holiday dinner table."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 6 cups sliced peeled fresh beets
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place beets in saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender.
- In another saucepan, heat cranberry sauce over medium heat until melted. Add orange juice, orange zest and salt. Drain beets; gently stir into cranberry mixture. Heat through.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 127 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Cranberry Beets in Light & Tasty December/January 2002