Cranberry Baked Beans
Total TimePrep: 70 min. + standing Bake: 3 hours
- 3 cups dried navy beans
- 5 cups cranberry juice
- 1/2 pound lean salt pork, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 5 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour to 4 hours, or until softened.
- Drain beans and discard liquid. Return beans to Dutch oven. Add cranberry juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are almost tender.
- Drain, reserving cranberry liquid. Place beans in a 2-1/2-qt. casserole or bean pot; add remaining ingredients and 1-1/2 cups of cranberry liquid. Cover and bake at 350° for 3 hours or until beans are tender and of desired consistency, stirring every 30 minutes. Add reserved cranberry liquid as needed.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 406 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 696mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 13g fiber), 13g protein.
Sep 18, 2016
Took longer than 3 hrs to cook, but when they were done, it was a very good recipe to use with dry beans. I didn't have any molasses, but read honey could be used as a substitute in baked beans because it has the same consistency & wouldn' affect the flavor that much.
Jun 30, 2016
Taste was ok, but the texture seemed off to me. Maybe the acid in the cranberries altered it. I like the punch of flavor from the mustard and ginger, and continue to add it to my regular recipe
Jan 9, 2016
I liked these beans in the past but need ideas. What can these beans be served with?
Sep 8, 2014
Great flavor,takes quite a bit of time to prepare but the molasses and cranberry give the beans a really good taste.
May 23, 2014
Different but really good
Oct 9, 2010
these were good - but not worth all the time it took making them. didn't taste any better than beans from a can. i didn't taste the cranberry at all. disappointed.