Cranberry Baked Beans
Total TimePrep: 70 min. + standing Bake: 3 hours
- 3 cups dried navy beans
- 5 cups cranberry juice
- 1/2 pound lean salt pork, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 5 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour to 4 hours, or until softened.
- Drain beans and discard liquid. Return beans to Dutch oven. Add cranberry juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are almost tender.
- Drain, reserving cranberry liquid. Place beans in a 2-1/2-qt. casserole or bean pot; add remaining ingredients and 1-1/2 cups of cranberry liquid. Cover and bake at 350° for 3 hours or until beans are tender and of desired consistency, stirring every 30 minutes. Add reserved cranberry liquid as needed.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 406 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 696mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 13g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 18, 2016
Took longer than 3 hrs to cook, but when they were done, it was a very good recipe to use with dry beans. I didn't have any molasses, but read honey could be used as a substitute in baked beans because it has the same consistency & wouldn' affect the flavor that much.
Jun 30, 2016
Taste was ok, but the texture seemed off to me. Maybe the acid in the cranberries altered it. I like the punch of flavor from the mustard and ginger, and continue to add it to my regular recipe
Jan 9, 2016
I liked these beans in the past but need ideas. What can these beans be served with?
Sep 8, 2014
Great flavor,takes quite a bit of time to prepare but the molasses and cranberry give the beans a really good taste.
May 23, 2014
Different but really good
Oct 9, 2010
these were good - but not worth all the time it took making them. didn't taste any better than beans from a can. i didn't taste the cranberry at all. disappointed.