Sweet, smoky, tangy, fresh…the flavors in this distinctive appetizer are sure to perk up taste buds for dinner. I sprinkle the warm squares with basil and add a dollop or two of a mascarpone cheese topping. —Merry Graham, Newhall, California
Featured In: Recipes Inspired by The Great British Baking Show
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 carton (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon jellied cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons cranberry-tangerine juice
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 5 cooked bacon strips, crumbled
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400°. For topping, in a small bowl, combine cheese, marmalade and cranberry sauce. Refrigerate until serving.
- In a large skillet, cook sugar over medium-high heat 1-2 minutes or until it just begins to melt. Add onion; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in cranberries, mushrooms, oil, lemon pepper, salt and paprika; cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat. Stir in juice; cook and stir until mushrooms are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Unfold puff pastry onto a greased baking sheet. Spread cranberry mixture to within 1-1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with bacon. Bake 18-22 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Cool 10 minutes. Sprinkle with basil. Serve warm with topping. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Bacon Galette in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p12