Cranberry-Avocado Tossed Salad
The red and green colors in this salad make it a natural for a yuletide dinner. Plus the dressing and ingredients give it a sweet-tangy flavor. —Marsha Postar, Lubbock, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes10 servings (about 1 cup vinaigrette)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup thawed cranberry juice concentrate
- 4 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 package (5 ounces) dried cranberries
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted if desired
- 1/3 cup sunflower kernels
- In a small bowl, whisk the first six ingredients until blended. Gradually whisk in oil.
- Gently toss avocado with lemon juice. In a large bowl, combine romaine, spinach, cranberries, onion and avocado; drizzle with 1/2 cup vinaigrette. Sprinkle with almonds and sunflower kernels; serve immediately. Drizzle with additional vinaigrette or, if desired, save for another use.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 212 calories, 13g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 91mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Loretta's Salad in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012
Aug 27, 2015
GREAT RECIPE! My family loved the play of all the different flavors. For non avocado lovers, substituting cooked chicken works great too. Our daughter said she could eat this salad every day and not tire of it!