Cranberry-Apricot Bread Pudding
I adjusted a favorite bread pudding recipe to make it a little healthier. Dried fruits add texture and sweetness to this heart-warming dessert.—Lily Julow, Lawrenceville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 6 cups cubed day-old bread
- 8 tablespoons whipped topping
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a small saucepan, combine apricots and apple juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed. Stir in cranberries; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, egg whites, egg, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and cardamom. Add bread cubes; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Stir in apricot mixture.
- Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon whipped topping and 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped walnuts.