Cran-Orange Sponge Dessert
Snacks, such as Twinkies, make a delightful cake dessert when topped with fruit compote.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 6 individual cream-filled sponge cakes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine cornstarch and cranberry juice until smooth; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in corn syrup until blended. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the oranges, cranberries and cinnamon stick; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the berries pop. Discard cinnamon stick.
- Divide cake cubes among four dessert dishes; top each with 1/2 cup fruit sauce. Garnish with whipped cream if desired. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 385 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 81g carbohydrate (70g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Easy Orange Cranberry Trifle in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.