These morning goodies go together in minutes. With a shiny citrus glaze and tangy berries, they get gobbled up just as quickly.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, butter and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, orange juice and zest. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until thickened. Brush over warm muffins.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 216 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Orange Muffins in Country Woman Christmas 2012
Nov 21, 2015
Not too sweet not too tart, my grandchildren loved them.
Oct 17, 2015
Cranberry and orange are a great combination, and the glaze gives the muffins a sticky sweet finish!