- 3/4 cup crushed gingersnap cookies (about 30 cookies)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- In a small bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, sugar and butter; press onto the bottom of a 9-in. springform pan coated with cooking spray. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, brown sugar, orange juice and cloves. Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until berries pop, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until blended. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until chilled, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine ice cream and orange peel. Spread half over the crust; gently spread cranberry mixture over ice cream. Freeze for 30 minutes or until firm; freeze remaining ice cream mixture.
- Soften remaining ice cream mixture; spread over cranberry layer. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or until firm. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forCran-Orange Ice Cream Cake
"I used Nilla wafers instead of the gingersnaps, and only used about a half a Tbsp of orange peel, and it turned out quite good!"
"Some family members don't like citrus peel. I used 3 cups sugar-free vanilla frozen yogurt and 3 cup orange sherbet. Yummy! It would change nutrition count but a diabetic ate it without a sugar spike!"
"This is a wonderful recipe. Very tasty and hard to believe it is light. Like anything you eat, if you don't do it in moderation, then it is your own fault it isn't healthyPlease remember to rate recipe when you write in here. Be fair to the author of the recipe."
"I have not tryed it yet but will make it for Christmas and as far as not being healthy it is a better dessert then any I have found out there so far. Nothing is healthy anymore so they say. And a smaller slice would cut the unhealthys in half again right go for it this sounds great to me and will make it any how."
"Wonderful, but with gingersnaps, sugar, butter, and ice cream I wouldn't label it "healthy". Oh well can't have it all!!"