Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups orange juice
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring, optional
- 1 carton (12 ounces) cranberry-orange sauce
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl combine the cranberry-orange sauce, pudding mix and orange juice. Fold in whipped topping.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 350 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 357mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 18, 2016
This is an awesome recipe for anytime the year! The flavorful cake will be a hit with everyone and no one will believe it all started with a cake mix. Cake just as great As sheet cake and topped with Cool Whip. As a volunteer field editor for taste of home magazine I love recipes that can be assembled quickly and still give a great flavor and taste.
Aug 4, 2011
Cranberry-orange sauce is generally sold as a frozen product. It may be seasonal and only available in the fall in some stores. Indian Trail is one brand to look for.If that can't be found, you could use whole-berry cranberry sauce and add 1-2 teaspoons of orange zest, or to your liking.Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Aug 3, 2011
Can you use cranberry orange relish? I don't know of any avail in stores, but have made it many times...
Nov 22, 2010
I was wondering the same thing. That is not something we have in the stores here in the South. Wonder if we could use cranberry sauce and add orange zest or chopped orange.
Sep 16, 2008
What is cranberry orange sauce and where would one find it? I've purchased canned cranberry sauce, but don't know what kind of "carton" to look for regarding cranberry orange sauce. Please post if you can help. Thank you!