Cran-Orange Coconut Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a small saucepan, combine cranberries and orange juice. Cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes or until juice is absorbed. Remove from the heat. When cool enough to handle, finely chop cranberries. Place in a small bowl; add pecans, orange zest and brown sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Fold in coconut.
- Spoon a third of the batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Spoon half of the cranberry mixture over batter. Repeat layers. Carefully spread remaining batter over cranberry mixture.
- Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Apr 3, 2013
I love this cake, it always turns out very nice. This cake has a very mild and delicate flavour, so I always make an orange glaze from concentrated orange juice and icing sugar to coat the cake. It keeps the cake moist and adds the extra flavour that I like.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.