Silky smooth chocolate is studded with bits of dried cranberries in these luscious truffles. It is the perfect dessert for your Thanksgiving or Christmas celebration.—Gerry Cofta, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 8 ounces 53% cacao dark baking chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Baking cocoa, optional
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, milk and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer reads 234° (soft-ball stage).
- Remove from heat; stir in dark chocolate until melted. Stir in marshmallows, Grand Marnier and orange zest until blended. Stir in cranberries. Transfer to a bowl. Refrigerate until easy to handle, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate, covered, until firm, about 1 hour.
- In a microwave, melt semisweet chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip truffles in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Return to lined baking sheets; refrigerate until set. Or, if desired, roll undipped truffles in cocoa. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Editor's Note: Store these truffles in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. Allow them to come to room temperature before serving.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 truffle: 96 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 14mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Cran-Marnier Truffles in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011