Cran-Apple Walnut Relish
For an extra special jelly during the fall season, try this recipe. The apples and cranberries compliment each other well.—Ball brand and Kerr brand home canning products
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Process: 10 min.
Makesabout 5 half-pints
- 1 pound apples (about 6 small)
- 4 cups cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 2-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Peel, core and chop apples. Combine apples, cranberries, brown sugar and water in a Dutch oven. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in walnuts and cinnamon; cook for 5 minutes.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. Add 1 minute to the processing time for each 1,000 feet of additional altitude.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 81 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 6mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Cranberry-Apple Relish in Country Woman July/August 1996