Linda Riederer of Hamburg, New York shares this change-of-pace autumn side dish. “It's delicious with pork, and the cranberries add a lovely dash of color,” she notes.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chicken broth, divided
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the sauerkraut and onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until sauerkraut is lightly browned. Stir in the apple, cranberries and 2 tablespoons broth. Cover and cook over low heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the remaining broth; cover and cook 3-4 minutes longer or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 130 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 866mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit, 1 fat.
Originally published as Cranberry Sauerkraut in Cooking for 2 Fall 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.