Linda Riederer of Hamburg, New York shares this change-of-pace autumn side dish. “It's delicious with pork, and the cranberries add a lovely dash of color,” she notes.
Recommended: 40 Slow Cooker Recipes Starring Fall's Best Produce
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chicken broth, divided
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the sauerkraut and onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until sauerkraut is lightly browned. Stir in the apple, cranberries and 2 tablespoons broth. Cover and cook over low heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the remaining broth; cover and cook 3-4 minutes longer or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Cran-Apple Sauerkraut in Cooking for 2 Fall 2005, p39