Cran-Apple Praline Gingerbread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup fat-free caramel ice cream topping
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup hot water
- YOGURT CREAM:
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1/2 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt
- Coat a 9-in. round baking pan with cooking spray. Pour caramel topping into pan and tilt to coat bottom evenly. Arrange apples and cranberries in a single layer over caramel.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg; mix well. Beat in molasses and applesauce (mixture may appear curdled). Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, pie spice and salt; add to butter mixture just until moistened. Stir in hot water.
- Pour over fruit; smooth top. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Combine whipped topping and yogurt; serve with gingerbread.
Nutrition Facts1 slice with 2 tablespoons cream: 289 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 284mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
May 31, 2014
So excited! Wanted to make an apple-spice cake for Sabbath, but couldn't find my cookbook after packing...eek! Found this Cran-Apple Praline Gingerbread and had most of the ingredients. Used one apple for the outside ring, pecan halves for the second ring and dried cranberries for the middle, it looks like a sunflower! I spooned the batter on top to keep the topping in place and it's perfect!I substituted honey for the ice cream topping; brown sugar; whole wheat flour; and plain greek yougert with honey and vanilla to taste. Taking it to the community meal and will give review later. Thank you so much for this recipe!
Jan 2, 2012
Love the flavor , guess I'm not sure what I did wrong but my apples did not stay in place, so it did not look so pretty but tasted very good
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.