- 5 cups sliced peeled Golden Delicious apples
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple juice, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups cranberries
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening
- 8 to 9 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Additional sugar
- In a saucepan, combine apples, 3/4 cup apple juice, sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch and remaining juice until smooth; add to saucepan. Return to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature. Stir in cranberries.
- In a bowl, combine the flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add cold water; tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half. Roll out one portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1 in. beyond edge of plate.
- Pour fruit filling into crust. Divide the remaining dough in half. Roll out one portion; cut into six 1/2-in.-wide strips. Place three strips over filling in each direction, forming a lattice crust; trim edges of strips.
- For decorative cutouts, roll out remaining dough and cut out with a 1-1/2-in. leaf-shaped cookie cutter. With a sharp knife, lightly score cutouts to resemble veins on leaves. Lightly brush lattice and edge of crust with egg. Overlap cutouts on the lattice and along edge of pie. Brush cutouts with egg; sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Cover edges loosely with foil coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forCran-Apple Pie
"I made this recipe for my husband's marine corps Christmas party last night. It was a big hit! Received many compliments! Thank for sharing the recipe!"
"This is a great recipe. I did make some changes. I swapped half the sugar for Splenda and I didn't have apple juice so I used cranberry pomegranate juice. Was a hit at my dinner party, would definitely do it again the same way,"