Total TimePrep: 40 min. + standing Bake: 15 min.
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 5 medium tart apples, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons almond paste
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a saucepan, combine orange juice, 3/4 cup sugar and orange zest; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cranberries; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until berries begin to pop. Remove from heat. Melt butter in a large saucepan. Stir in syrup, honey and remaining sugar. Add apples; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cranberry mixture. Sprinkle with tapioca; mix gently. Let stand 15 minutes. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- For topping, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl; cut in butter and almond paste until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle crumb mixture and almonds over cranberry mixture (dish will be full). Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly around the edges.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 322 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 83mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 3, 2012
This is an excellent recipe. I used strawberry preserves and blueberry cran raisins instead of apple and cherry filling. I added 1 cup of shredded, sweetened coconut to the topping. It was an orgasm of flavor, wow!
Oct 7, 2011
I made this recipe many times. Everyone loved it including my sister-in-law who hates cranberries! She thought they where sour cherries. ;)