Cracked Wheat Buttermilk Bread
Slices of this crusty bread are great alongside meals or for sandwiches. It's one of the lightest wheat breads I've ever tried. —Ruth Stoops, Cincinnati, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + cooling Bake: 3 hours
Makes1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons cracked wheat
- 3/4 cup warm buttermilk (70° to 80°)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- In a saucepan, bring the water and cracked wheat to a boil; boil for 6 minutes. Drain; cool for 15 minutes. Place all ingredients, including cracked wheat, in bread machine pan in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons of warm buttermilk or flour if needed.
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 123 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 276mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Cracked Wheat Buttermilk Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002