When I had a preschooler and a new baby at home, sandwiches were a lunchtime staple. My husband and I got tired of peanut butter and jelly, so we started making this grown-up recipe shared by a dear lady at church. The onion flavor from the bagels complements the crabmeat nicely. —Connie Faulkner, Moxee, Washington
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 onion bagels, split
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 lettuce leaves
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Toast bagels; spread with cream cheese. On the bottom of each bagel, place a lettuce leaf and 1/4 cup of crab mixture. Replace tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 395 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 842mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Crabby Bagels in Quick Cooking March/April 2000