Crab Vegetable Soup
Fresh crab is plentiful in Penobscot, Maine, where Emily Chaney pops a pound of it into this chunky soup. Chock-full of veggies and flavor, it makes luscious cold-weather fare.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups water
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 2-1/4 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 pound crabmeat
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil for 1 minute. Add celery; saute until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, water, carrots, potatoes, corn, bouillon, seafood seasoning and lemon-pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in crab and peas; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 167 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 691mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Originally published as Spicy Crab Soup in Light & Tasty February/March 2006