Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound fresh or canned crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed or 1 cup imitation crabmeat, flaked
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Dash paprika
- In a small saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in the milk. Add chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the crab, mayonnaise and hot pepper sauce.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 1-qt. baking dish. Melt the remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over crab mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with paprika.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 431 calories, 34g fat (11g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 772mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 29, 2014
We were totally unimpressed and I followed the recipe exactly.
Jan 8, 2010
I wanted something that would be special but not take too much time to make. We enjoyed eating this with crackers, celery & tortilla chips. My husband loved it!