I came across this recipe years ago in an old church cookbook. It's so good, I've even served it for Christmas Eve dinner.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound fresh or canned crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed or 1 cup imitation crabmeat, flaked
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Dash paprika
- In a small saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in the milk. Add chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the crab, mayonnaise and hot pepper sauce.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 1-qt. baking dish. Melt the remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over crab mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with paprika.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 431 calories, 34g fat (11g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 772mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Apr 29, 2014
We were totally unimpressed and I followed the recipe exactly.
Jan 8, 2010
I wanted something that would be special but not take too much time to make. We enjoyed eating this with crackers, celery & tortilla chips. My husband loved it!