Crab-Stuffed Chicken Breasts Recipe
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/3 cup crushed saltines (about 10 crackers)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 2. In a skillet, saute onion in remaining butter until tender. Add the crab, mushrooms, cracker crumbs, parsley, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of the white sauce; heat through.
- 3. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the crab mixture on each chicken breast. Roll up and secure with a toothpick.
- 4. Place in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Top with remaining white sauce. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Remove toothpicks. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 368 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 1061mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Reviews for Crab-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
"This took some effort, but it was good! It is a special occassion when I have some time type of recipe"
"These were pretty good. Very impressive and elegant looking. My swiss cheese on top got overcooked and was crispy, rather than melty, which may have been my fault, and not the fault of the recipe. The ratio of stuffing to chicken seemed a bit off too me; too much stuffing for the amount of chicken. Still, a tasty dinner."