Looking for an impressive luncheon presentation? Rely on this delicious recipe for stuffed artichokes that Suzanne Strocsher’s mother passed on to her in Bothell, Washington. “They’re surprisingly easy to make,” Suzanne promises.
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 medium artichokes
- 2 cups lump crabmeat, drained
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Using a sharp knife, level the bottom of each artichoke and cut 3/4 in. from the top. Using kitchen scissors, snip off tips of outer leaves; brush cut edges with 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Stand artichokes in a Dutch oven; add 2 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until leaves near the center almost pull out easily.
- Invert artichokes to drain. With a spoon, carefully scrape out the fuzzy center portion of artichokes and discard.
- In a large bowl, combine the crab, cheese, bread crumbs, mayonnaise, green pepper, onion, salt and remaining lemon juice. Gently spread artichoke leaves apart; fill with stuffing.
- Place in an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish; add 1/2 in. of warm water. Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and leaves near the outer edge pull out easily.