Crab Rangoon Cheese Spread
Crisp, deep-fried wonton strips are a perfect accompaniment to a classic, creamy crab spread. Sweet-and-sour sauce adds fantastic flavor.—Gina Muller, Monroe, Iowa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes3 cups spread (180 chips)
- 1 package (12 ounces) wonton wrappers
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 cups lump crabmeat, drained
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 jar (10 ounces) sweet-and-sour sauce
- Cut wonton wrappers into thirds. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry wonton strips, a few at a time, for 10-20 seconds on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with salt.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Stir in crab and onions. Transfer to a serving plate; shape into a 6-in. disk. Top with sweet-and-sour sauce. Serve with wonton chips.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 140 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 365mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Crab Rangoon Cheese Ball in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.