Crab ‘n’ Shrimp Gumbo
I found this recipe in a magazine over 30 years ago. I change it from time to time to suit our tastes.—La Vonne Vrooman, Dothan, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 25 min.
Makes16-20 servings (about 5 quarts)
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (one 29 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 2 cups water
- 4 medium leeks, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen sliced okra
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound fresh or frozen crabmeat, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In same skillet, saute onions and garlic in drippings until tender.
- Pour into a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Add the tomatoes, consomme and water. Cover and bring to a boil; add the leeks, carrot and okra. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the shrimp, crab, salt and cayenne; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and cold water until smooth. Stir into gumbo mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in parsley and reserved bacon. Serve immediately with rice.