Crab Macaroni & Cheese
Crab and mushrooms put a deliciously different spin on classic macaroni and cheese. It's an upscale casserole for special occasions...but my family could eat it every day!—Angela Ochoa, Lake Elsinore, California
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 6 baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded medium cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 pounds cooked snow crab legs, meat removed
- 4 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain pasta and rinse in cold water.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour, mustard, pepper, salt and paprika until smooth; gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 3/4 cup each mozzarella and cheddar cheeses until blended. Remove from heat; fold in macaroni.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, butter and basil. Transfer half the macaroni mixture to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with reserved mushroom mixture, remaining macaroni mixture, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Top with crab and Swiss cheese. Sprinkle with crumb mixture and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 535 calories, 29g fat (18g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 534mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Baked Mac 'n' Cheese with Radicchio, Mushroom, and King Crab in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009
Dec 30, 2014
This has been my son's birthday dinner choice for 3 years now. He LOVES this! (I omit the mushrooms for him.) 10 servings is a lot of mac and cheese. ;)
Aug 14, 2011
The recipe is bursting with flavors and is one of my husbands favorite dish.