For a thicker chowder, use heavy cream or half-and-half.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) whole potatoes, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, celery and onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the crab, broth, potatoes, corn, salt, dill and pepper. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through. Stir in sherry.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 272 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 1151mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Crab Chowder in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy 2005