For a thicker chowder, use heavy cream or half-and-half.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) whole potatoes, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, celery and onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the crab, broth, potatoes, corn, salt, dill and pepper. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through. Stir in sherry.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 272 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 1151mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Crab Chowder in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.