- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (16 ounces) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups frozen lima beans, thawed
- Cherry tomatoes, fresh oregano and small chili peppers, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the broth, tomato sauce and paste until blended. Add the next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add lima beans; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until beans are tender. Garnish with tomatoes, oregano and peppers if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews forCowpoke Chili
"This recipe is deliciously different with the right amount of spices. I do like the addition of lima beans, they add to the recipe!!"
"I requested this recipe from a friend to enter a chili cook-off. Like the submitter, I also won first prize in about 20 entries. Just the right amount of spice and sweet. Good for adults and kids alike. I did leave out the lima beans B Adams North Bend, OR"
"Excellent recipe. Very mild and a bit sweet which was nice for a change. I followed the recipe exactly. Will leave out the lima beans when I make it again. I didn't like the taste and texture of them as a kid and I guess I still don't."