- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2/3 cup condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen Tater Tots
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Stir in the corn, soup, 1/4 cup cheese, milk, sour cream, onion powder and pepper.
- Place 1 cup Tater Tots in a greased 3-cup baking dish. Layer with beef mixture and remaining Tater Tots; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forCowboy Casserole
"Family loved this. Doubled recipe. Sprinkled a little bit of steak spice on the beef for flavour and a tbsp of Worcestershire sauce and some garlic and onion . I also used one cup of cheese in the beef mixture and added another 1/2 cu of cheese on top. I used bean and bacon soup instead of cream of chicken which was bland. Added frozen avocado instead of corn. I also only put tater tots on top layer and the cooked better and were crisp. Family asking for it again this week."
"A favorite around here! The added corn really adds a lot of taste!"
"For such a simple recipe very good, lends itself to personal taste additions. Fresh corn-on-the-cob in season so I omitted the canned corn substituted fresh green beans. We prefer the tator medallion shape rather than tator tots followed a suggestion of another review and crisped the tators before putting in the casserole dish ( so glad I did). Added Worcestershire, garlic, sprinkled 1/2 packet of beef onion gravy packet plus about 1/3 cup of beef bone broth while browning meat. Very quick and tasty casserole."
"Very good. I doubled the recipe for a 9x13 pan. I also added salt and pepper."
"I love this recipe I make it for pot lucks but this past week I made it for a cabin of 18 and I read all the bland comments and thought I can't take that. So I got creative I put garlic in it of course. Then fiesta corn more sweet corn, kidney beans, black beans yeah it's a lot of extras but it was probably a triple recipe and probably weighted 15 lbs lol I couldn't carry it. But it fed a lot of folks and even got a call after we got home did you have any extras, why yes I had also made my daughter a pan while she was home for the weekend and of course she didn't eat it lol SUPER SUCCESS!!!!!!"
"Family favorite but I double this recipe 4 times and put in a 11x13 pan!"