Cowboy Bake Beans
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- In an ovenproof Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 457 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 964mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 12g fiber), 28g protein.
Mar 17, 2012
I have been using this recipe for years! I have yet to meet anyone who does not like it! I really want to find a chili recipe that is similar to this!!! Anyone have one?????
Jan 2, 2012
Iv'e got a batch of Cowboy Bake Beans in the crockpot now.I did change things around a little - I added stew beef instead of ground beef. I used 4 cans of the same variety of beans, instead of the recommended mix of 5.In addition, I diced a fresh tomato into the mix and used less brown sugar, as the full amount would have been sweeter than I like.
Sep 4, 2011
everyone loved these, and they are so easy to make
Jan 18, 2011
I always make this in the crockpot. Often I carry it to church potluck suppers or family cookouts. It is always popular. I have shared this recipe with many friends. I use whatever types of beans I have on hand -- even frozen green beans and butterbeans. It is very forgiving of bean types. Instead of condensed tomato soup, I use tomato sauce. Great as a main dish served with brown rice.
Jul 2, 2010
This is a very tasty version of baked beans I would and do serve at all my BBQ's a very must try.
Sep 12, 2009
I am trying the recipe today, but why does the caption mention tomato PASTE??
Jul 20, 2008
This is a great recipe! I substitute some fresh sausage and baked ham for some of the hamburger, using about 1/3 of each meat and put the ham bone in the pot too.
Jul 12, 2008
I love this recipe. It is easy and makes a great potluck dish. Friends always want me to bring this great side, it goes with anything.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.